Wednesday 7 August 2013

Do we have a right to decide

There is a 'Big Issue' seller that I see quite often in Eastleigh, he stands outside the chemist at the end of Market Street, I've never bought the Big Issue

I understand the concept is that you are giving them an income, they buy the magazine for a small amount and they keep the profit, a point that was made by their chief executive a few years ago when he urged people to not pay more than the cover price....it's a job, not a charity

The question is, how many people would buy the magazine if it was on a shelf in Tesco, maybe the content is so impressive that they would, or maybe people just but it for compassionate reasons 

Now this takes me back to the man outside the chemist, lets call him Lloyd....it's not a Boots Chemist

Lloyd is better dressed than me, not a great challenge I'm sure you'll agree, but either way he has nice trainers, decent clothes and most importantly, the latest iPhone 

And this brings us to my question, do we have any right to an opinion on how people spend their money.  We've been repeatedly told that Lloyd is a self employed business man, he's not a beggar, so do we have any more of a right to comment than if he were a builder or plasterer 

And the answer is no. He may earn a lot of money doing what he does, enough that he decides he wants super fast processing, an 8mp camera and all the greatest apps, at least he's an Apple man and not Samsung

When i do decide to buy the Big Issue, if I ever do, will I be buying it from him. No. Because he doesn't 'need' my money. The same as I probably wouldn't favour a builder that drives a Ferrari or a plasterer that carries his tools in a Rolls Royce

Am I judging a book by its cover, no, I'm judging a smart phone by its retina screen

4 comments:

Stephen Slominski said...

His name is Christian,
I have this photo of him:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8185/8394053402_2d4e45df61.jpg

(which you can use if you like Ben)

I took it Friday 18 Jan 2013, it was -1 °C (but felt like -10 °C) and snowing.Shops were either shut or understaffed as staff couldn't get into town.
Hardly anyone around in fact but he was still there - on his usual pitch -selling the big issue.
I believe no one would be doing that unless they absolutely had to.
I've also seen him selling in 90° heat and buried under a media scrum during the by-election.
I'd have no hesitation in offering him a job if I could because I believe he would make a loyal and reliable employee.
I too am a 'samsung man' but I don't begrudge Christian his apple smartphone, I reckon he has earned it fair and square.
I figure well, he may have an iphone but at least I have a roof over my head!

N.B original comment deleted due to typo infestation

Sir Benjamin of cummins said...

Hi Stephen

Unfortunately there's not an option to 'like' like your comment but I thought it deserved an acknowledgement

I had half expected my blog to attract the sort of debate that your comment could start, but alas this blog proved to be quite unpopular

Thanks again
Ben

Stephen Slominski said...

Oh dear, I hope my earlier comment post about analysing web traffic hasn't made you despondent.
Blogs are hard work if you looking to build up an audience.
I do wonder if blogger blogs have had their day as a social media platform - these days blogs are usually used as a platform for an OOB business website.
There is no secret to building an audience - you have to blog frequently.
After a while, say hundreds of post you begin to achieve a critical mass - Google like big website with plenty of content so pages (posts) will start to rank better in searches.
You need to promote it as well but if you have an FT job and a full time family its time consuming enough writing, let alone promoting a blog.
The other problem is once you start getting visitors in decent numbers - get them to interact by leaving a comment or tweeting a link or liking a page is another kettle of fish.
I've tried to help by featuring a feed and link to your blog but perhaps I should tweet your posts more often...
Anyway, don't give up! Yur stuff is entertaining and it's always good to know what local people think and what they are up to.
Although we all have different opinions I believe all folk are fundamentally decent and share the same goals for oursleves and our families.
Through social dialogue we can build a consensus :)

Sir Benjamin of cummins said...

Thank you. To be honest I'm not really too worried how many people read it, it's something I just started as a way to use Facebook less and get all my moaning done. I started off doing one a day and that has dropped drastically in the last few months for personal reasons but I shall endeavour to get back into it

Though saying all that, I won't be using the Internet at all in September so whilst I shall be writing blogs, I won't be uploading them