Sunday 4 September 2016

A week to remember.....hopefully

I had the realisation that I hadn't written a blog now for nearly two weeks, is this good or bad, I'm not really sure.

Normally the desire to write comes from having a particularly bad day or a particularly good one and I guess the last week or so has been a mixed bag, though generally pretty good.

Now I will warn you, this blog is more of a diary for me.  A record of what I did in my week with Amelia, so I won't be massively offended if no one makes it to the end.  I can't even promise it's going to be entertaining I'm afraid as I'm far too tired to be funny. 

Let's start with the obvious bad news, I haven't been at work, devastating, 9 days off, I almost wish they didn't force me to have 50 days leave a year.  The reason for the week off was to have a week off with Amelia, her last full week of summer holidays and the chance to make some memories....the only problem being I can't remember what we did.....well, I'll give it a shot.

Day 1 - I did nothing really, a good day and a perfect start to holiday 

Day 2 - Sunday and not my day with Amelia, but her and her mum, along with my parents were off to the Roald Dahl Museum.  A word of warning if you're visiting, parking is very limited in the village, and the cafe is very small.  Amelia is studying Roald Dahl at school next term so this was a great opportunity to learn a little more about him...and make a clay model of the BFG

Day 3 - the beach. So we were off to West Wittering, somewhere Amelia and I had never been but we were guided by the unique sat nav that is my friend Colette, essentially if there are two routes to get somewhere she will normally use the 3rd.  She chose to wait until we were on route to tell me that the same trip the previous week had taken 3 hours....fortunate really because if she'd told me before we left then we wouldn't have left at all.  

We were there quite early and had a good pitch on the beach, all the S's were covered, sun, sea, sand, sand castles, seagulls and sun cream....well....sun cream was a bit of a sore point, literally. Amelia got herself changed in the little beach tent we had taken along, and I had instructed her to put her sun lotion on.  The mistake I made here was assuming she had put it everywhere.  To be fair to her she had done a good job, on the front, but missed her back completely which resulted in a slightly burnt 7 year old and a very guilty feeling daddy.  Overall a really enjoyable day though, and a catch up with old friends.

Day 4 - so we had no plan for this sunny Tuesday so decided to wing it.  We did the Asda shop in the morning, oh yes we know how to live.  A speculative text then saw us heading to the paddling pool to meet up with another friend and her two daughters.  Now I know what you're thinking, he wouldn't be reckless enough to not apply enough sun cream on his daughter two days in a row....and you're right, she was well covered.  I on the other hand am 6 days into the worst sunburn I've had for about 15 years.....but pretty soon I'm gonna have the best suntan my back has ever seen, just a shame I still look albino from the front 

Day 5 - today was a day out with another friend and her son.  He had a dentist appointment booked for 3pm so we didn't want to travel far.  Off to Basingstoke then and to the Aquadrome, which was awesome fun, first time on the flumes for all of us and we all loved them.  Amelia was uncertain at first and after walking all the way to the top of the stairs we realised that we were supposed to collect rubber rings from the bottom.  Now Amelia was adamant she wasn't having a go, so I went all the way to the bottom for two rings and as I got the top Amelia had decided she did want a go, so I did the stairs for the 3rd time.  All in a very fun swimming trip though, followed by a picnic in the park and a trip to the ice cream parlour....are they still called that, it is still the 1950's right. 

Day 6 - mooching followed by Paultons Park with friends, we have annual passes so a nice cheap day out and very enjoyable, with scorching weather again as well

Day 7 - a late start what with one thing and another and we were off to Newbury to '4 Kingdoms Adventure Park'.  It would best be described as a collection of all the things kids like (soft play, bouncy castles, go karts, a maze) along with a farm and amusement arcade style ride on machines etc.  It was great fun and to be honest at £34 for a family ticket, it was really good value, in fact we only left when we did as it started to rain and we were conscious of traffic 

Day 8 - nothing of any great note during the day today, but the focus was firmly on the evening and a friends 30th birthday party.  Now to celebrate the end of her 20's, she had rather cleverly decided to host a 1920's themed party.  A great excuse to get the suit on, get myself a bow tie and do my best impression of my brother from another mother Leonardo DiCaprio, the Great Gatsby.  For a party that ran from 7-12 we did pretty well to get home just before 5am.  Overall an awesome night and with very reasonable drinks prices.  All videos of my dancing will be destroyed to avoid embarrassment....to the other party guests, I'm an amazing dancer!!!  I also met some great people, the most hardcore 4 year old in the world and the most legendary grandad, I only hope I have his moves when I'm 78....and his little black book 

Day 9 - Hungover 

Overall a very very busy week, and a part of me is looking forward to going to work tomorrow for a rest*

*obviously I wouldn't dream of resting, it's non stop work from 7-5 #commitment #dedication 

Hope you all had a great week last week and an even better week ahead 









No comments: