Thursday 24 April 2014

No more school playground

wrote the other day about my new job, about positive change and the future ahead of me....training dolphins....but with every positive there can be downsides 

My daughter's mother was adamant that when Amelia started school, she wanted to be around at least once a week to do the school pickup.  Now I don't think I ever saw the importance of it.  My own mother dropped me off and collected me from school each day until I was old enough to walk with my older brother but that was not the case for Amelia's mum.  She had always walked with her sisters and wanted things to be different for Amelia 

I didn't see the importance for her, I could see why Amelia would like her mum collecting her but it is only today that I can fully appreciate why her mum wanted to

See yesterday through to today is the last time that I will have been able to collect Amelia from school, have a play date with a friend, have her stay overnight and then drop her at school the next day.  She starts an after school club today, and Fridays are her mum's day to collect her.  From next week I'll be working 8-5 (what a way to make a living) so I won't be able to drop her off or collect her

I'd be lying if I said there weren't times that I'd thought about staying in my old job, complete with the shift work etc, just to allow me to keep sharing in the excitement of the start of the school day, and the elated moments at the end of the day, talking with great excitement about what had happened that day, if she'd got a sticker for her reading or writing, and what she'd done with her friends 

If I'm honest I'll miss catching up with the other parents in the playground as well. 

I don't want to become detached from my daughters education, to miss out on her excitement as she learns and develops through her years at school....I will miss the after school play dates with friends and trips to the swimming pool, the park, the gelato of a sprinkled nature 

I appreciate that many parents don't have the opportunity that I've had over the last 8 months, two terms, an autumn and spring. And that makes me a little sad.  When you get the opportunity, get into the school, look at the creations on the walls, the folders of work, savour the buzz of excitement that can only be created by 30 young children and the fantastic people that teach them....I know it sounds cheesy but it really is a magical thing 

Amelia was so excited this morning, she's going to her new after school place today, with her friend, and she'll absolutely love it. She's far more excited than if she were seeing me, and that makes me feel better.  

A part of me hopes that she'll miss me dropping her off and collecting her, but that's just me being selfish.  As long as she's safe and happy that's all that matters

So I'll be up and at her house at 8:30 tomorrow morning and maybe, if her mum allows, I'll be there at school collection time tomorrow....(though maybe it isn't fair to interfere with her mum's time with her)....to make the most of the last opportunity 

And hey, if I win the euromillions jackpot tomorrow, I'll be there on Monday as well :-)

No comments: