Sunday 5 May 2013

Thank God It's Wednesday!

So....Sunday then....day after Saturday....day before Monday. I guess this is what most of you call a 'weekend'....a weekend is an alien concept to me, at least it has been since 2006.

2006 is the year I semi retired, true I had a brief dalliance with full time work in 2007, but in 2008 I went back to full time semi retirement

At around 7 or 8 o'clock tonight most of you will be thinking 'oh no, Monday tomorrow, another week at work and at least 2.5 days until I can proclaim that it is 'hump day' and the countdown to the weekend has started

Do you ever think that you wish your life away, always thinking of that next weekend, that next holiday, birthday, Christmas....even retirement. You miss out on the opportunity to saviour every day and the joy that it can bring

When you have children, it's fair to say that a large proportion of parents would love to be freed from the shackles of employment, of mortgages and gas bills. To fill that time with trips to the park or days at the beach (my blog is read on about 20 countries...some of them go to the beach) and we spend our time waiting for the perfect weather

But children don't care about the weather, they'll wear a jumper in July, shorts and sandals in December. One of my best afternoons with my daughter was a trip to Peppa Pig World in the pouring rain, and I'm not talking about drizzle, I'm talking can't look up and ahead because the rain is too heavy

I fully expected her to fall asleep on route.....to see the weather and decide we'd come back another day....or even just to sit in the car and watch the raindrops fall

BUT

As I turned to her to make that call, she took one look at her waterproof all in one suit, she started to slide on her wellies, she smiled at me, the most amazing smile and said

'Lets...Go...Puddle...Splashing!!!'

Now this was a Wednesday afternoon, on a day that you would write off due to the weather...as a day that only counted as being 2 days from 'the weekend'...but do you know what, it was one of most fun few hours I've ever had....and whilst wet clothes always dry....you can't recreate memories

So forget about the weekend, forget about the weather, forget about everyone but those you hold dear to you, and go out and splash in some puddles.....


No comments: