Tuesday 5 March 2013

Come off MyFace

I walked to Tesco this afternoon, I needed some milk for Amelia. What I witnessed was not only a sad reflection of society but also made me question myself

I walked into Tesco at, for the sake of argument, 17:10. As I walked in, I passed a young mother with two kids, they were playing on a play bus...the sort you put £1 in....well, I don't, I've often not got change but even when I do, I rarely pay the extortionate price for 2 minutes of bouncing up and down

Anyway, the two kids are on the bus and the mother, she's engrossed in her mobile phone, mumbling responses to the kids as she updates her Facebook status or some such action. Now, I don't have a great issue with this, I use Facebook from time to time, I use my phone from time to time, however....

I didn't need much in Tesco......milk, some magnums, a bag of popcorn and some bacon...oh we know how to eat...so I was probably in there around 10 minutes, I would have quicker but I 'self served'....it gives me the perfect opportunity to shop without having to talk to people

Now where was I, yes, ok, 10 minutes. So I come out of Tesco 10 minutes later and notice that these two kids are still on the play bus. And the mother.....hasn't even looked up from her phone

It causes an interesting dilemma, clearly the kids aren't bothered, they're having fun, but what a sad state of affairs when we'd rather be on a phone than enjoying our kids. I felt bad for this mother, I felt bad for the kids, but I also felt bad for myself

There must be quite a few occasions when I've focused more on my phone, the TV, even the washing or cleaning, than my own daughter. Yes she needs clean clothes, she needs to eat, of course she does, but she won't be 3 forever, in fact turns 4 in June and starts school in less than 6 months

I guess what I'm saying is complete your chores, update your Facebook, upload your home recorded music videos to MySpace....you could be the next Justine Bieber, but don't do it at the expense of events that cannot be repeated, of time you cannot get back

I don't have any relevant photos for my blog today, so ill just add some random ones

Bye bye for now





No comments: